THE HISTORY OF HOLLAND CHAPEL A.M.E. ZION CHURCH
Holland Chapel A.M.E. Zion church grew out of the great Ebenezer A.M.E. Zion Church.
In the 1860's, land was donated by Jezzie Holland, after whom the church was named. The forefathers to receive this land were Mr. Rich Burnette, Mr. Van Farrington, Reverend Green Farrar, Reverend Meckie Thompson and Sister Maggie Cotton.
In 1864, worship service began under a bush arbor named Holland Chapel Church. The first small frame was built in 1867. Services were held every third Sunday. Under the leadership of Reverend C.T. Tharrington, a second frame was built in 1919. By the year 1942, a third frame structure was built under the guidance of Reverend J.A. Jones.
From 1942 through the early 50's, church services were held on the second and third Sundays. In 1950, under the leadership of Reverend S.P. Cook, a choir loft and two classrooms were constructed. Rev. R.H. Johnson led the congregation in constructing a church annex in 1969.
In July 1974, under the leadership of Rev.FranklinL.Rush, the interior and exterior was completely renovated and a spacious parking space was provided. Holland Chapel continued to grow spiritually and numerically. During the leadership of Rev. Dr. Ocie Brown (1977-1987), additional land was purchased and fund raised for construction of an Educational building.
Rev. Lawrence R. Turner, Jr. was appointed Pastor of Holland Chapel in 1990. Under his leadership, construction of the Educational Building (1995) and new Lawrence R. Turner Fellowship Hall (99-00) were completed. Holland Chapel continues to host workshops, seminars, revivals on the Durham District and Central North Carolina Conference.
At the 128th Session of the Central North Carolina Conference, the Right Rev. Richard Keith Thompson appointed Reverend Jace L. Cox as Pastor of Holland Chapel. Rev. Cox has energized the congregation with a spirit of "New Beginning." Under his leadership, Holland Chapel continues to grow spiritually through Word Seekers Bible Study, Youth & Children A.L.I.V.E. and Focused Sundays.
At the 2010 Eastern NC Summer Institute in Greenville, N.C., Presiding Elder Richard K. Thompson appointed Rev. Dr. Orlando Dowdy as Pastor of Holland Chapel.